Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Give A Damn...Do you?

That is the motto of the "Give A Damn" campaign. The "Give A Damn" Campaign was started by singer Cyndi Lauper to "inspire and engage everyone, especially the straight community, to get involved in the advancement of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality." 
It also includes many other celebrities including by not limited to, Whoopie Goldberg, Wanda Sykes, Kim Kardashian, Sharon Osbourn, Elton John, and Jason Mraz. They have videos talking about GLBTQ right issues like, Violence towards gay, workplace discrimination, bullying, parenting, and more. 


I want to put a spotlight on this for two reasons. One, I am a huge fan of Ms. Lauper and it makes me love her all the more to see her reach out like this to the gay community. Second, and the more important reason, is that the site brings up a very good point. yes, it is important for the GLBTQ community to be fired up and do what they can to perpetuate the cause and keep standing up for our rights, but it is also important for our heterosexual allies to do the same. I believe that with allies in the straight community standing up and showing support we can win this fight so much better. So, I implore our straight friends to do what you can. I am always going on about the gay community doing more, but the same goes for you. Get off your keesters and do something. Volunteer at a GLBTQ center, rally for GLBTQ friendly politicians, makes sure you call senators and representatives, and also...make your presence known. It would do a lot of good for the gay community, especially the younger members, to know you exist. Sometimes, all a person needs to give them strength is knowing someone cares. Knowing that when they do come out they will have people to turn to when things are rough. I encourage everyone to look at the website. I have it posted under my "Cool Links" at right. Take a moment to become a member, read what they are all about, watch some of the videos, and let them inspire you to do what you can. I give a damn...do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment