Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Celebrate Yourself; You Deserve It

This June was just named "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month" by President Barack Obama and truthfully I couldn't be happier right now. Normally, I side with Morgan Freeman and his disregard for "<insert minority> month", but right now I think it's a key step towards equality.

The point I'd like to make is one to everyone reading this, if you've ever been discriminated because of your sexuality, appearance, or anything about yourself, I feel bad. I've been at the sour end of it also; my family doesn't really support me. But enough about me and more on you, you awesome person. You are what's making this country (and the world) a better and safer place for everyone. Each time you stand up for yourself you are improving not only your life, but everyone in the LGBTA movement.

I want to share a story that some of you might be familiar with, the story of a young man named Sergio Garcia from the town of Fairfax, LA. He was named the Fairfax 2009 Prom Queen. Not only is he breaking down the arbitrary gender barriers, but he is an openly gay kid in High School (you know how hard that can be, even in a liberal high school near LA). His story is one that everyone in the movement can echo; even though I don't know if you're reading this, you are an amazing person. You are standing up to give fellow human beings the equality they deserve. Thank you.



I'd also like to mention how far we've come. A while ago Ellen had John McCain on her show to talk about same sex marriage. Not only do I think she completely won the debate, but I think she really showed how cowardly and nervous the opposition to equality really is. There isn't (and hasn't) been a respectable argument against the love or equality that same-sex relationships provide.



Now, I want you to go out with pride this month, and every day fourth. You are the movement of equality, you are strong, and you are loved. Please, help spread love around the world. We can do this.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Adam. I am glad you made this. It ties in very well with my next posting about gay pride and the Pridefest parades and ceremonies that are going to be going on all this month.

    ReplyDelete